Employment Type: Full-Time
S.A. Comunale has been a local industry leader for end-to-end mechanical, fire protection and HVAC services for nearly 100 years.
We offer our clients significant financial strength, unmatched bonding capability, an award-winning safety program, and large-scale purchasing power.
With 12 locations and over 950 employees, including 600 skilled tradesmen throughout Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and West Virginia, S.A. Comunale can work in virtually every market sector and facility type.
Job Title: Design Trainee
Provide excellent service to customers by providing assistance to the Design staff while learning design tasks. This is the Level 1 position in the company’s Design Career Path Training Program. A minimum criterion required for levels within the training program is outlined in a separate document.
Works to achieve annual company objectives and personal performance goals. At all times works in compliance with the company’s safety practices and the Collaborative Way commitments.
*This position would be remote training through Microsoft Teams with our Design Instructor based out of our Corporate Office in Barberton, OH.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ability to complete a sprinkler drawing as detailed in most current NFPA standards documentation.
- Ability to identify the building construction type as identified in most NFPA standards documentation.
- Ability to identify the type of hazard and the appropriate protection for same.
- Familiarity with a project budget and ability to work within budget.
- Ability to coordinate work with other trades on non-complex projects.
- Ability to understand and resolve coordination problems.
- Ability to effectively design a project; including cutting pipe with all appropriate fittings.
- Ability to select all required materials for installation.
- Ability to operate present version of AutoCAD and all current AutoCAD tools.
- Ability to coordinate pipe drawing, heads, hangers & other sprinkler components critical to design, field or other trade affected (non-complex project).
- Ability to coordinate pipe drawing, heads, hangers & other sprinkler components critical to design, field or other trade affected (complex project).
- Ability to conduct a field survey alone or with others to obtain all proper dimensions and information.
- Ability to correctly project hours, installation, field survey results, etc. for a project.
- Ability to meet industry quality standards in producing drawings, hydraulic calculations, material pick offs and material submittals for a project.
- Ability to develop a complete material submittal that meets industry standards.
- Ability to correctly complete project paperwork, such as: test papers, insurance permits, punch list.
- Ability to identify contract work vs. non-contract work and alert appropriate personnel in writing.
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify potential problems before they manifest.
- Ability to understand, carry out and communicate about all project tasks.
- Ability to communicate in face-to-face meetings with customers in a way that provides the company and the customer with accurate, thorough information about a job, and that leaves the customer with a positive impression of our company and our service.
- Must begin study of NFPA 13 and have knowledge of at least 30% after twelve months in the position.
- Works with other departments to service customers.
- Works to achieve company’s annual objectives and to achieve personal performance goals.
- Operates at all times in compliance with the company’s safety practices.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education / Work Experience:
- High School diploma or GED required. Engineering background desired.
- Must have AutoCAD training or experience required.
- Study for certification in NICET Level 1 must be underway within six months of accepting position required.
- Must be able to go to construction sites and perform surveys off of ladders or lifts required.
- Must have some mechanical aptitude required.
- Must possess a commitment to learn and show initiative in completing the training program required.
- Must be willing to take direction from others, and be willing to complete mundane tasks as part of the overall responsibilities required.
- Must possess good math abilities required.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills, and legible handwriting required.
- Significant experience with Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel) applications required.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities to perform this job successfully.
- Ability to positively interact with all branch members.
- Ability to make independent decisions and problem solve.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement company objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employee and management.
- Must prospect for sales.
- Must demonstrate integrity and professionalism.
- Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must prioritize in a fast paced multi-task environment.
- Must have demonstrated ability to perform basic business mathematical functions.
- Must work with minimal supervision.
- Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must comply with all operating policies, procedures, executed Plans, and Programs.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Loading some great jobs for you...